Personal notes, for consistency tracking's sake... I'll put up an explanation eventually lol.
- 1 Magic Types
- 2 Arcane Schools
- 3 Spellcasting Specializations
- 4 Tier 1 - Elementary Spells
- 5 Tier 2 - Intermediate Spells
- 6 Tier 3 - Advanced Spells
- 7 Tier 4 - Expert Spells
- 8 Tier 5 - Master Spells
- 9 Tier 6 - Experimental/Archmage Spells
- 10 Common Aura Magic Modes
- Aura Magic
- Runic Magic
- Concordance Magic: also known as 'Bardic' magic, Concordance magic works by distributing ether through sound and slowly harmonizing the spell to the recipients' ether frequencies. Concordance spells takes the longest to cast but exhibit the greatest capacity to bypass Ether Resistance.
- Conceptual Magic: lost magic of the Dragonlords, capable of deriving its power through a concept/belief. Sometimes referred to as 'Divine' or 'Deific' magic.
- Innate Magic: magical effects natural to a creature or species (i.e. Samaran's reincarnation and their 'fluid of life'); innate magic are always powered by natural mana rather than refined ether.
All magic, spells, and effects are classified into six schools:
- Alchemy - manipulation of the physical; as the most explored school of magic, alchemy is broken down into Biological, spells that affect life, and non-Bio for everything else.
- Enchantment - manipulation of the mental
- Conjuration - creation of physical phenomenons
- Evocation - creation of spiritual phenomenons
- Divination - accessing of information
- Illusion - hiding or forging information
- Spell effects of the Alchemy and Enchantment schools involve injecting ether into the target of influence. Mages (and their linked familiars), who already each have their own manipulable ether source flowing through them, are highly resistant to foreign ether. They therefore repel alchemy and enchantment spells unless the attacker has substantially stronger spellpower.
- Mages may willingly choose to reduce (but not negate) their Ether Resistance by pausing free ether flow in the appropriate regions to receive an Alchemy or Enchantment spell. This is an important aspect of healing spells (Alchemy:Bio). However, the effect is still substantially weaker and slower than when performed on non-mages. Healing spells may also overcome some Ether Resistance by using Samaran 'fluid of life' as either a focus or additive to the spell, reducing the effects of ether rejection.
- Since this resistance relies upon ether repulsion, significant reduction of reserve ether will make a mage vulnerable.
- Curses are alchemy/enchantment spells designed to inflict long-term debilitating effects on an individual by creating a spell effect that could consume the user's ether (if any) or be replenished by any caster's ether. They have the capacity to bypass Ether Resistance due to their unique traits. However, the complexity of curses makes them ritual spells that must be cast into their target over the course of hours, making them ineffective as combat spells.
- Geomancer - specialists of manipulating the earth/ground and tapping spiritual ley-lines for power.
- Metamage - specialists of seizing control and manipulating foreign spell effects.
- Spellsniper - specialist of focused targeting spells through sheer spellpower for all-purpose ward-piercing.
- Spellstorm - specialist of concentrating on massed spellfire volleys through quantitative duplication of spells.
- Spellsword - specialist of casting spells in melee combat; spellswords are by far the most common form of combat mages in Hyperion as it requires neither special affinity nor exemplary magical potential.
- Stormcaller - specialists of weather control sorcery.
- Wayfarer - specialists of teleportation, with improved range, control, and carrying capacity.
Tier 1 - Elementary Spells
Basic magic that skirts the laws of physics, taught starting from earliest age of magical control. The easiest of these are used daily and are often referred as cantrips.
- Fabricate (Effect): Basic spell for shaping and crafting materials. Concentration required; duration dependent on complexity and hardness.
- First Aid (Effect)[Bio]: Quick wound-closure healing spell.
- Flourish (Effect)[Bio]: Biological matter thrives and grows at exponential rate.
- Heat/Cool (Effect): Alters temperature of entity.
- Ignition (Effect): Ignites combustible object.
- Lock/Unlock (Effect): Open/closes a mechanical lock; magical locks require either matching ether signature or far superior spellpower to overcome a lock.
- Refreshen (Effect)[Bio][Healing]: Half-cosmetic half-healing spell used to adjust appearances with precision.
- Transmute (Effect): Slowly alters substance composition and phase, transforming at an atomic level, i.e. water and graphite to hydrocarbons; higher spellcraft increases the step limits of modification and its speed of transmutation. Complex alterations require an understanding of biochemistry.
- Telepathy (Effect): Sends a mental message or create a telepathic bond. Unless grounded by a deeper bond, telepathy is interferes by local spell auras and therefore unreliable over distances of high magic concentration.
- Cyclone (Effect): Creates a gust of wind. Adding Blast (Tier2) upgrades this to an intensified air attack.
- Discharge (Effect): Discharges electricity by touch. May learn Lightning (Tier2) as an upgrade of this spell.
- Dismiss (Effect): Ends a conjuration-creation spell cast by the same person.
- Light (Effect): Creates a hovering orb of light, a flash of light, or temporarily enchant a crystal to glow; caster may determine color and pattern.
- Alarm (Effect): Wards an area to alert the entrance of intruders, either through noise [illusion] or mental alert to the attuned. May be specified to ignore individuals.
- Armor (Effect): Creates a layer of invisible, weightless armor composed of pure magic.
- Sigil (Effect): Leaves a visible, lasting mark of hardened ether for identification.
- Detect (Effect:Suffix): Detect the presence of an entity and discern available details. The most common being Aura Detection which serves for magical effects.
- Mirage (Effect): Creates an illusion based on the caster's imagination, starting with only visual components but increases to audio, thermal, olfactory, etc with higher spellcraft.
- Barrier (Form): Spell effect takes the form of a barrier that protects one object or creature.
- Boost (Effect:Suffix): Augmentation effect, striking a balance between moderate power and duration.
Tier 2 - Intermediate Spells
Intermediate magic that breaks physical laws in reasonable manners, taught starting from early teens (Middle School).
- Animate (Effect): Non-sentient object moves as directed, even if it cannot exert force. Animate has numerous variants: Entangle orders it to bind and constrict creatures; Assault (Rank3) increases force and speed.
- Enlarge/Shrink (Effect): Increase or reduce size of item. Altering the size of living beings is more complicated (Rank3).
- Invigorate (Effect)[Bio]: Slow, long-duration healing spells that soothes wounds.
- Metabolic (Effect:Prefix)[Bio]: Modifies physical energy output and natural healing by several folds. Side-effect include burning through reserve energy faster, resulting in fatigue and hunger.
- Razor (Effect): Swiftly transmute entity for razor sharp protrusion. Results depends on surface material; may be an iron spike, a sharpened icicle, a pointy stalactite, etc.
- Mental Clarity (Effect): Sharpens sensory processing and clears mental pathways; this does not actually boost the senses themselves, and an exception is made for pain sensory.
- Air Glide/Cushion (Effect): Surround entity with either air buffets to slow descent, or layers of decompressing air to reduce impact.
- Brambles (Effect): Creates thick, spiky vines and other plant undergrowth.
- Conjure (Effect)[Teleport]: Conjures specified entity from surrounding instead of magically simulating them with limited duration. Conjuring non-natural entities requires knowledge of where to attain them.
- Binding Bands (Effect): Creates steel shackles to bind an opponent.
- Fireball (Effect): Hurls condensed flames which explode on impact. Firestorm (Tier3) upgrades this to multiple simultaneous shots with greater heat burst and flammability.
- Levitation (Effect): Repulses gravity and allows floating in midair. Adding Flight allows the user to also control the force vectors for movement.
- Lightning (Effect): Call down a lightning strike or send a Blast of lightning from casters' hands. Effectiveness rises in with static charge or stormy weather.
- Repulsion (Effect): Counter-pushes objects attempting to get closer to target; weak and only effective against smaller objects.
- Shift Impulse (Effect): Accelerates motion by manipulating target momentum.
- Ether Seeker (Effect)[Antimagic]: Evokes self-guided counter-missiles that disrupt shaped ether; producible in quantity.
- Guard (Effect): Creates a layer of translucent magic that increases ether resistance and oppose antimagic; can be infused into most other magical wards.
- Negation (Effect)[Antimagic]: Gives an entity limited ability to reduce the effectiveness of defensive barriers. This is the main penetrator aide of spellsword combat. May not be combined with any other spellwords except Boost/Surge suffix.
- Night Sight (Effect): Gains monochrome vision that sees out to half normal range even in complete darkness; living creatures are perceived to be outlined by a glowing red outline. A spell of the Sight suffix family.
- Pathfinder (Effect): Scans nearby terrain and collect locations of guide beacons. Range of spell depends on caster capabilities.
- Witness (Effect): Turns an object or non-magical creature into a scrying sensor, allowing the caster to listen and see through the entity.
- Mislead (Effect): Creates a mirror image capable of independent action, starting with only visual components but increases to audio, thermal, olfactory, etc with higher spellcraft.
- Chain (Meta): Spell capable of bouncing from one target to another, so long as it has power remaining.
- Beam (Form): Spell effect repeatedly hammer all in its path with a steady stream.
- Fragmentation (Meta): Spell effect breaks apart into multiple pieces when stopped, each carrying a piece of the original's power. Chain/tiered fragmentation may occur with cascading spells.
- Screen (Form): Spell effect takes the form of a geometric surface.
- Smiting (Form): Spell effect stored in weapon until discharged.
- Surge (Effect:Suffix): Augmentation effect with high power but low duration measurable in seconds.
Tier 3 - Advanced Spells
Advanced magic that requires finesse, control, and understanding, taught starting from late teens (High School).
- Firemist (Effect)[Bio]: Auto-fragmentation/scattering spell; transforms air impurities into highly flammable combination of fuel vapors and natural gas.
- Neutralize (Effect)[Bio]: Neutralizes disease and poison, either by itself or from a creature.
- Resistance (Effect): Reinforces subject with coursing ether, granting ether resistance plus resistance vs elemental attacks.
- Restoration (Effect): Burst-mode healing spell, may be maintained for rapid healing.
- Sensory Blackout (Effect)[Bio]: Cuts off nerve senses; may be localized to specific region as a healer's spell.
- Farspeak (Effect): Long-range telepathy spell allowing communication over long distances. Farspeak's burst transmissions allow it to overcome magical interference, but at the cost of requiring concentration to maintain even a 1-on-1 link.
- Phantasm (Effect): Projects all sensory information of a non-existent, interactive physical entity into a creature's mind. The entity may be seen, heard, touched, smelled, and tasted as the caster wills, but only by the target.
- Astral Leap (Effect)[Teleport]: Short-range teleportation spell with line-of-sight range up to 500paces.
- Vanish (Effect): General-purpose cleaning spell by dematerializing messes with precision control. May learn Disintegrate as an upgrade of this spell.
- Stormblessed (Effect): Creates a bubble of magic around an entity that transforms any surrounding wind to always blow in favor of the the entity's motion, thus allowing it to always ride the wind regardless of actual weather conditions.
- Dispel (Effect)[Antimagic]: Counter magical effects by forcibly unraveling ether from a shaped spell effect.
- Phantom Steed (Effect): Creates a pseudo-physical mount capable of airborne gallop at 60KMPH/80+kilopaces per hour. Specified Overlay layers this over an existing mount as a shadowy barding that enhances mobility or endurance (require special training).
- Phantom Charge (Effect): Sacrifices an existing Phantom Steed spell effect, causing a spectral steed that catches fire to charge in, ram the enemy, and explode into an inferno. Signature spell of the Knights Phantom.
- Scorch-Ether (Effect)[Antimagic]: Forcibly convert ether into volatile mana. Conversion of free ether works significantly faster than shaped ether, thus best paired with a Dispel.
- Spellshield (Effect): Creates a shimmering shield of pure magic that automatically deflect attacks. Fortress (Tier4) add-on word upgrades this into multiple shields with coordinated control.
- Clairvoyance (Effect): Low-range scrying spell. Creates a mobile, invisible magical sensor at a familiar location within 1 kilopace. Concentration required. May learn Scrying (Tier4) as an upgrade of this spell.
- Sight (Effect:Suffix): Family of spells enabling the viewing of a non-material element or clarity to see through physical entities. Known spells include Aura Sight, which visualizes magical effects; Snow Sight, which pierces snow, ice (limited thickness), and fog; Flame Sight, which can see through fire, smoke, and smog. Earth Sight, which sees through limited thickness of earth and stone.
- Veil (Effect): Hide entity through disinformation, beginning with visual and/or audio component but not limited. Disrupts outside attempts to scry into the area.
- Field (Form): Spell effect forms a constant area-of-effect emanation. Field spells do not need refreshing but constantly drain ether from source.
- Sanctum (Form): Spell effect wards an enclosed region from all outside region, but not those within.
Tier 4 - Expert Spells
Professional magic that blatantly ignores physical laws, taught to career or higher education mages. Sometimes referred as 'career spells'
- Disintegrate (Effect): Breaks down physical entity to a granular level; exact process unknown but results in dust and heated, particle-heavy air. Highly effective versus objects and nonmagical creatures, it can only brute force its way through magical defenses.
- Elemental Body (Effect)[Bio]: Blesses the body with spirits of a classical element. Air grants swiftness and improved senses; Earth reinforces structure, strength, and elemental resistances; Fire increases metabolic output, fire immunity, and may burn on contact; Water offers regeneration and aquatic capacities.
- Rejuvenate (Effect)[Bio]: Healing spell with built-in nerve shock to wake fatigued or unconscious individuals up.
- Astral Teleport (Effect)[Teleport]: Long-range teleportation spell with maximum standard safety range of 10 kilopaces; Wayfarer training increases this to 25 kilopaces.
- 'Cancellation (Effect)[Antimagic]: Suppresses magical effect. Commonly used for wardbreaking, this spell takes minutes (if proficient) or hours of time to properly cast and attune.
- Lockdown (Effect): Wards the area by bouncing teleportation to either the nearest unwarded or a designated area.
- Hindsight (Effect): Trace individuals through history or visit past events. Concentration required; attunement may be time-consuming and may require special focus if caster is not personally familiar.
- Scrying (Effect): Remotely view distant locations, objects, or individuals; a mobile, invisible magical sensor is created at the scrying location. Concentration required; attunement may be time-consuming and may require special focus if caster is not personally familiar.
- Catalyst (Meta): Spell effects that create either magical or physical energy may begin a cascading chain reaction.
- Legion (Meta): Spellcraft is duplicated for many targets
Tier 5 - Master Spells
Powerful magic used only by seasoned specialists; usually result in horrible accidents when used by someone not practiced.
- Stonemeld (Effect): Meld object or creature into stone to hide for a limited time; does not actually combine.
- Geas Brand (Effect)[Curse]: Brands the target with a curse that inflicts pain whenever they attempt to go against a set of expressed instructions made during casting.
- Banishment (Effect)[Teleport]: Banishes non-native creature back to its world of origin.
- Tectonic (Effect): Invokes subterranean tectonic movement, aka earthquakes.
- Disjunction (Effect): Rip asunder a magical effect by fracturing its form and rending its ether apart. This violent form of Dispel can be used to destroy enchanted items and anchored magical effects which are far more stable, as well as dealing collateral damage to anything the magic inhabits.
- Solar (Effect): Harness the intense energies of the sun through miniaturized, limited magical fusion to create defensive screens, offensive beams, or other effects.
- Phalanx (Meta): Spellshaping is duplicated quickly for quantitative spellcasting, resulting in spell mass production of lower quality but greater numbers.
Tier 6 - Experimental/Archmage Spells
Common Aura Magic Modes
- Aura Bombard (Tier2): Improves output for large-scale spellcasting, but lacking individual precision in shaping spells.
- Aura Boost (Tier3): Enhances physical functions by coursing ether through the body, but reduces spell acceleration (spellshaping time). Common mode for spellsword combat.
- Aura Burst (Tier4): Greatly boost spell acceleration for the fastest casting time in all known styles, but with the side-effect of numbness from overwhelmed nerve conduits; prolonged use may lead to temporary and permanent paralysis.
- Aura Condense (Tier2): Compacts ether density which results in better ether penetration and resists antimagic, but reduces spell acceleration.
- Aura Field (Tier1): Basic aura mode.
Hyperion Battlefield Magic
Hyperion battlefield spellcasting are typically delivered in alchemy-conjuration combos, by altering circumstances followed by an elemental attack. Common examples include the Knights Phantom's preference for shrunken oil barrels which are dispelled to restore size and ignited after throwing; or artillery-mages' preference to transmute air into high methane concentrations before adding fire, sparking explosions on par with modern fuel air bombs. (idea brought up "90 Farting Cows Start Fire in Germany")